When Rafael dos Anjos upset then UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis last March with a dominating decision, he shocked the MMA world. According to the new champion, he may have also given enough of a beating to "Showtime" to confuse the former title-holder.

"He wants to help Cerrone, he wants a rematch with me, he wants to drop to 145 to fight McGregor. I think he's kind of confused," he recently told MMA Fighting.

Dos Anjos defends his belt for the first time against Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone on Dec. 18 in Orlando, and seemed to be referring to Pettis' previously expressed desires not to just get the lightweight title back, but also to drop down to featherweight to fight the likes of Conor McGregor.

More from FoxSports

"He wants a rematch with me. Actually, he doesn't know what he wants," the Brazilian continued, speaking of Pettis.

According to the 30 year-old, Pettis does not ever stand a chance of getting revenge on him. So, dos Anjos believes, Pettis is hoping that Cerrone will beat him in December.

Pettis owns a 2013 KO victory over the "Cowboy." "I also think the only way he gets his belt back is if he helps Cerrone because he knows he can beat Cerrone," dos Anjos said of Pettis.

"He for sure would get it back from Cerrone."

Somehow, in a war of words between dos Anjos and Pettis, Donald Cerrone ends up getting the worst of the insults. He'll likely keep that in mind when he steps into the cage on Dec. 18.