Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Monday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
- PITTSBURGH - Ben Roethlisberger is out indefinitely with a sprained ligament in his left knee. There is no timetable for his return. Michael Vick will start Thursday night against winless Baltimore.
- GREEN BAY, Wis. - The Kansas City Chiefs end their agonizing 11-day stretch since a turnover-filled loss to Denver. They play a Packers team that is without safety Morgan Burnett. Game starts 8:30 p.m.
More from FoxSports
- WASHINGTON - A day after NL MVP front-runner Bryce Harper and teammate Jonathan Papelbon fought in the dugout, the Washington Nationals deal with the fallout.
- PITTSBURGH - The St. Louis Cardinals try to put the finishing touches on an NL Central crown they've been chasing all season when they open a three-game series with the Pirates. Game starts 7:05 p.m.
- FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. - New coach Dan Quinn has the Falcons believing they can win, and a 3-0 start proves his high energy is paying off.
- TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona Cardinals are the highest-scoring team in the league with 17 touchdowns in three games. They are 3-0 after routing San Francisco 47-7.
- CHARLOTTE, N.C. - NFL officiating executive Dean Blandino says referee Ed Hochuli insists he never told Carolina quarterback Cam Newton he ''wasn't old enough'' to get a personal foul call during Sunday's game.
- ZURICH - Sepp Blatter's lawyer says the FIFA president told his staff he has done ''nothing illegal or improper.'' Blatter is back at work at the scandal-battered governing body.
- EL SEGUNDO, Calif. - Kobe Bryant is about to begin his 20th season with the Los Angeles Lakers, and the fire still burns.
- OAKLAND, Calif. - Fresh off their first championship since 1975, the Golden State Warriors get ready for a mew season.
- INDEPENDENCE, Ohio - LeBron James begins his second season back with Cleveland Cavaliers amid questions about the health of stars Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love.
- CLEMSON, S.C. - Two undefeated teams meet in a Saturday night showcase at Death Valley - No. 12 Clemson vs. No. 6 Notre Dame.
- TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - No. 13 Alabama awaits its first game this season in a hostile stadium. The Tide plays No. 8 Georgia and might be an underdog for the first time since 2009.
- Leaders of the U.S. track team design a formula to distribute an extra $9 million in cash to top athletes. They also take steps to clarify language in a form that runner Nick Symmonds refused to sign.
- TOKYO - Baseball and softball take a big step toward rejoining the Olympic roster. They are recommended for the 2020 Games along with surfing, skateboarding, karate and sports climbing.
- RICHMOND, Va. - The U.S. has long been a backwater in international cycling. So what kind of a bump - if any - can America expect from hosting its first world championships in nearly three decades?