Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Sunday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by 3 p.m. All times EDT:
- ARLINGTON, Texas - Tony Romo and Dez Bryant will be on the field together for the first time since the catch that wasn't for the NFC East champion Cowboys while Eli Manning starts his 11th straight opener for the division rival New York Giants. UPCOMING: 700 words, photos. Starts 8:30 p.m.
- TAMPA, Fla. - Ready or not, rookie quarterbacks Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota lead the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Tennessee Titans into the regular season. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos. Starts 4:25 p.m.
More from FoxSports
- The Associated Press releases this week's Top 25 college football poll. UPCOMING: 300 words, photos at 2 p.m.
- NEW YORK - No. 1 Novak Djokovic faces No. 2 Roger Federer in the U.S. Open final, their record 14th meeting at a Grand Slam tournament. Starts 4 p.m. UPCOMING: 750 words, photos. With: The Latest. Updates throughout day.
- Moses Malone, a three-time NBA MVP and one of basketball's most ferocious rebounders, died Sunday. He was 60. SENT: 350 words, photos. UPCOMING: 700 words.
- EAST LANSING, Mich. - For years the Big House was the place to be, and now that Jim Harbaugh has come home to coach Michigan it could be again. First, though, the Wolverines have to reclaim the state title for Michigan State. SENT: 1,000 words, photos.
- SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Coach Brian Kelly has talked frequently about how Notre Dame's depth this season gives him confidence. Two games into the season, that depth is getting quite shallow at key positions. UPCOMING: 500 words, photos by 5 p.m.
- RICHMOND, Va. - Kevin Harvick doesn't seem the least bit concerned with Joe Gibbs Racing's hot streak. The reigning NASCAR champion fully expects to be in the hunt for a second consecutive title. UPCOMING. 650 words, photo by 4 p.m.
ANAHEIM, Calif. - Rookie Andrew Heaney takes the mound when the Angels attempt to complete a surprising three-game sweep of the AL West-leading Astros, who counter with Mike Fiers. UPCOMING: 700 words, photos. Starts 3:30 p.m.
- MADRID - Fabio Aru of Italy is set to win the Spanish Vuelta barring an injury or an unforeseen incident at the Grand Tour's final stage, a 99-kilometer (61-mile) ride into Madrid. UPCOMING: 400 words, photos.
- SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Adrian Peterson's absence for all but one game last season left a huge hole for Minnesota on offense. NaVorro Bowman being sidelined the entire year was a similar blow for San Francisco's staunch defense. Stars on opposite sides of the ball will likely meet up quite a few times Monday night. SENT: 800 words, photos.
- ATLANTA - Falcons coach Dan Quinn makes debut against Chip Kelly, who has taken total control of Eagles on Monday night. SENT: 800 words, photos.
- EVIAN-LES-BAINS, France - Lydia Ko became the youngest major champion in LPGA Tour history at the Evian Championship on Sunday. SENT: 600 words, photos.
- ALEXANDER, N.D. - The Alexander Comets' football team returns after a 27-year absence, thanks to the oil boom that has reversed the fortunes of their tiny school. By National Writer Sharon Cohen. UPCOMING: 1,200 words, photos, video.