Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Saturday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by 3 p.m. All times EDT:
- No. 3 Alabama faces No. 20 Wisconsin, Vernon Adams and No. 7 Oregon play Eastern Washington, and No. 11 Notre Dame takes on Texas on college football's first full day of games.
- NFL teams face the deadline for cutting their rosters to 53 players, leading to a flurry of moves.
More from FoxSports
- NEW YORK - Roger Federer tries to move into the fourth round at the U.S. Open.
- ST. LOUIS - The NL Central-leading St. Louis Cardinals and second-place Pittsburgh Pirates play the second game of a weekend series. Game starts 4:05 p.m.
- CHICAGO - Coming off a no-hitter, Jake Arrieta pitches for the Chicago Cubs against Robbie Ray and the Arizona Diamondbacks. Game starts 2:20 p.m.
- NORTON, Mass. - Jordan Spieth was in need of a good round to avoid missing back-to-back cuts for the first time in his career. Brendon de Jonge had a two-shot lead in the Deutsche Bank Championship.
- DARLINGTON, S.C. - Drivers will get to try their preferred low-downforce rules package in qualifying at Darlington Raceway.
- LAS VEGAS - UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson defends his title in a rematch with top contender John Dodson. Their first fight ended in a unanimous decision victory for Johnson.