Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones went on KTCK 1310 AM Thursday and admitted the club has a "pocket list" of free agent running backs.
"We have a pocket list for every position," Jones said. "We do have a pocket list for everybody. I will say, obviously, if we felt there was someone out there that right now we felt made a meaningful difference, then we would do that."
Though the club added free agent veteran Darren McFadden in March and will be giving third-year runner Joseph Randle every chance to be the feature back, the position remains uncertain, especially the victor in training camp would be replacing DeMarco Murray, last year's league-leading rusher.
More from FoxSports
According to Rand Getlin, the Cowboys have been in contact with Chris Johnson, who has a good track record of being a lead back for the Tennessee Titans from 2008-13.
However, Jones won't sign a big name if Assistant Director of Player Personnel Will McClay doesn't believe he can play.
"There's big names out there," said Jones. "There's people that think, 'Well, maybe they ought to have that guy in camp.' And what you always have to remember with the big names is what they used to be. And our guys obviously led by Will McClay do a great job, I think, of really working with our coaches, really showing them where they think a particular player is at some point in his career; really informing Jerry and myself where they are in their career. And then we have to make a decision."
Unless injuries or unfulfilled expectations strike the Dallas running back corps, Jones indicates the club will continue with the backs they have rather than older free agent veterans.
"Last year, by most reports, we were the third-youngest team in the NFL. And for some reason, we had a much a better injury record than we had the previous two or three years, and I don't think that's by accident. This is a young man's game... We feel good about these three running backs that we have."
MORE FROM FOX SPORTS SOUTHWEST: