Police say a woman who was hit in the head with a broken bat and was bleeding from the head as she was being carried out of Fenway Park is expected to survive.

Officer Rachel McGuire told the Associated Press Saturday that the woman is recovering.

Boston police spokesman David Estrada said all or part of the bat hit her during the game between the Boston Red Sox and Oakland Athletics.

The spectator was carried out of the stadium after the top of the second inning. She was hit by Oakland’s Brett Lawrie’s bat that broke on a groundout to second base for the second out of the inning. The game was halted in the middle of the second inning as emergency crews tended to the woman and wheeled her off the field on a stretcher.

The woman's name was not released and more details on her condition were not available.

Alex Merlis, of Brookline, Massachusetts, told The Associated Press said he was sitting behind the woman when the broken bat flew into the seats just a few rows from the field between home plate and the third base dugout.

"It was violent," he said of the impact to her forehead and top of her head. "She bled a lot. A lot. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that."

Merlis said the woman was sitting with a small child and a man. After she was injured, the man was tending to her and other people were trying to console the child.

The woman was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and a hospital worker said early Saturday she has no information for her condition.

"You try to keep her in your thoughts and, hopefully, everything's all right and try to get back to the task at hand," Lawrie said when asked how he was able to refocus after what happened. "Hopefully everything's OK and she's doing all right.

"I've seen bats fly out of guys' hands in(to) the stands and everyone's OK, but when one breaks like that, has jagged edges on it, anything can happen."

Major League Baseball expressed its concerns with flying broken bats and the danger they posed in 2008. A study issued by the league prompted it to implement a series of changes to bat regulations for the following season.

Multi-piece bat failures are down about 50 percent since the beginning of the 2009 season, league spokesman Michael Teevan said.

Though dozens of fans at big league ballparks are struck by foul balls each season, there has been only one fatality, according to baseball researchers — a 14-year-old boy killed by a foul line drive off the bat of Manny Mota at Dodger Stadium in 1970.

The National Hockey League ordered safety netting installed at each end of NHL arenas after 13-year-old Brittanie Cecil was killed by a deflected puck at a Columbus Blue Jackets game in 2002. She died two days later, and her parents eventually settled with the team for $1.2 million, the league and the arena management.

"First and foremost, our thoughts and concern, and certainly our prayers, go out to the woman that was struck with the bat, her and her family," Red Sox manager John Farrell said. "A scary moment, certainly.

"All you can think about is a family, they come to a ballgame to hopefully get three hours of enjoyment, and unfortunately with how close our stands are to the field of action, an accident like this is certainly disturbing."

The Associated Press contributed to this report