Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

Fonte signs new Southampton deal

Southampton, England (SportsNetwork.com) - Southampton defender Jose Fonte secured his future with the team on Friday by signing a new three-year contract.

Fonte had been linked with a move away from St Mary's in recent weeks, but he brought an end to that speculation on Friday with a new deal.

This summer has already seen a number of key players leave the club including, Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert, Luke Shaw, Calum Chambers and Dejan Lovren, while manager Mauricio Pochettino also left for Tottenham.

Following those departures and the signing of a new contract, Fonte has been handed the captain's armband by new manager Ronald Koeman, and he said the decision to remain with the club wasn't difficult.

"I am very excited to be signing this new contract," Fonte said. "This is where I feel at home, I have been very successful at this club in the last five years. It was an easy decision."

The 30-year-old Fonte started 35 Premier League games last season for Southampton, scoring three goals.