One of the Brazilian movements behind recent demonstrations against the World Cup says it will not stage protests during the monthlong event that begins Thursday in Sao Paulo.
Guilherme Boulos is the head of the Homeless Workers Movement. He says in an emailed statement the government has agreed to its demands for low-cost housing.
He says that the government is promising to build 2,000 houses on land invaded last month by some 5,000 people just 2 miles (3 kilometers) from the stadium where the tournament's opening match will be played.
The movement had pledged to stage massive demonstrations during the World Cup if its demands were not met.