'Russian Mike Tyson' in coma as family says boxer didn't receive help at ringside

The New York State Athletic Commission is under fire after its doctors allowed a boxer -- who has now been in a coma for more than a week – to depart Madison Square Garden on his own following a fight.

“It is horrible,” boxing manager Boris Grinberg told New York Magazine of the medical treatment his heavyweight fighter Magomed Abdusalamov, known as the “Russian Mike Tyson,” received following a punishing, 10-round loss on Nov. 2.  

“I am not afraid to say it. New York State Athletic Commission is horrible. It is dangerous for these people to be so careless and not do anything.”

A commission spokesman, whose organization oversees all boxing matches in the Empire State, reportedly told New York Magazine an inquiry was under way.


Meanwhile, the 32-year-old Abdusalamov’s family – including his wife and three daughters -- is reportedly holding a vigil at the intensive care unit at St. Luke’s Hospital in Manhattan in hopes the pugilist will eventually wake up.

Abdusalamov’s injuries reportedly stem from a bruising fight held at the Theater at Madison Square Garden – and broadcast on HBO – against Cuban-born Mike Perez.

During the bout, the Dagestani boxer was badly beaten, according to New York magazine, and his face profusely swelled. He also reportedly suffered a broken left hand, and possibly a broken nose.

But he completed the fight on his feet, ultimately losing in a unanimous decision.

Following the fight, two doctors reportedly evaluated Abdusalamov, one of whom New York magazine reports collected urine samples for later drug tests, and a second who asked him to count.

“He says, 'Count one, two, three, four, five …,' and then he tells him to make sure he goes to hospital tomorrow because his nose might be broken,” Grinberg reportedly said. “They give him no attention! No ambulance!”

The manager reportedly added Abdusalamov vomited on a street corner after leaving MSG.

With the help of Grinberg’s son and passers-by, the fighter had a taxi shuttle him to St. Luke’s, or the nearest emergency room. Once there, he reportedly vomited again while awaiting medical attention – and eventually lost consciousness.

“I scream and I say, 'He is fighter from Madison Square Garden.' He is former champion of Russia,” Grinberg told the magazine.

A CAT-scan revealed brain swelling and a blood clot. And during a subsequent surgery, doctors reportedly removed a portion of Abdusalamov’s skull to relieve mounting pressure – and placed the fighter in an induced coma.

Now, the manager says all he and Abdusalamov’s family can do is pray.

Click for the story from New York magazine.