STORRS, Conn. – Former Connecticut football coach Paul Pasqualoni says he was never told that one of his players had been accused of sexually assaulting a woman on campus.
Rosemary Richi says she was raped by a football player in September 2011, and is one of four women who have sued the university, alleging the school failed to properly respond to their accusations.
Richi says she told police and school officials about the rape early this year. She says both responded with indifference and told her there was insufficient evidence to pursue the case. The Associated Press does not normally identify the alleged victims of sexual crimes unless they wish to be identified. Richi has gone public with her complaint.
Reached by phone Wednesday, Pasqualoni told the AP he was never informed about the incident.
The athletic department did not immediately return messages seeking comment, but school spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz says the university believes the cases were handled appropriately.