Fan dies at Talladega campground

Published October 21, 2013

| FoxSports

Carbon-monoxide poisoning is being blamed as the cause of death of a Tennessee man at Talladega Superspeedway on Saturday morning.

The Talladega County Sheriff's Department said Craig Franklin Morgan, 46, of Murfreesboro, Tenn., died at the campground. Morgan and his wife, Jami Allison Morgan, 38, were discovered unresponsive by friends who went into their RV at the South Campground outside the track.

Jami Morgan was unconscious and was airlifted to UAB Hospital, where she remained in critical condition and unconscious Monday morning, a hospital spokesperson told FOXSports.com.

Police said the carbon monoxide apparently leaked from the exhaust system of the family's RV.

Talladega County Sheriff Jimmy Kilgore told myfoxal.com that the couple's RV had a broken exhaust pipe on its generator, which ran all night Friday. When the Morgans didn't come out Saturday morning, friends went looking for them.

"When they didn't have any contact or see them (Saturday) I think they assumed they were walking the property or something, and then when they weren't able to contact them they went to the motor home and went inside and found them," Kilgore told the local FOX affiliate. "The race fans are usually close knit and they share their compassion when something like this happens and there's concern and sorrow and things of that nature."

The original article can be found at FOXSports.com: Fan dies at Talladega campground.

URL

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/10/21/fan-dies-at-talladega-campground/