It was a long week for Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay, who made more headlines than he probably intended to with his comments about the end of the Peyton Manning Era in Indy.
So you could forgive him for being excited to see it end with a win over Manning and the previously-unbeaten Denver Broncos at Lucas Oil Stadium.
Irsay's fervor over the upset victory -- and his loathing of anyone who didn't think it would happen -- came across as clear as ever during a late-night Twitter rant that showed little in the way of restraint or humility.
It started with a "humble" brag about receiving the game ball and his own genius in restructuring the team a couple years ago:
What a Night! Great Video Tribute for #18,as our Fans cheered! Great Win as my Team gave me the VICTORIOUS Game Ball! SWEET! I was Humbled!
-- Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) October 21, 2013 As OWNER,Buck stops with U;In 1997 n January 2012,alone n the room,plotting the vision 4 Greatness! Strategically decades of success follows
-- Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) October 21, 2013 Then Irsay started thanking others, including Manning, for their contributions over the years:
So much credit 2 BEST FANS,COLTSFANS N to Peyton,MATHIS,Marvin,Reggie,Jeff Sat n now #12Luck ,#13 T Y and T Dungy,Chuck P and so MANY others!
-- Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) October 21, 2013 Then he blamed the media for Denver's loss:
Thanks 2 many ignorant n mean spirited media types,only some,certaInly not all;Man you helped FIRE UP our team..you were AWESOME! Thank YOU!
-- Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) October 21, 2013 Then Irsay made sure to clarify to everyone that he wasn't, in fact, drunk:
Actually working,sorry naysayers..I don't drink...haven't in over 15 years..I know when your unhappy or jealous it's easy to b mean-spirited
-- Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) October 21, 2013
Sure, Irsay tweets kind of like I'd expect my grandpa to if he had a smartphone. He's like the social media version of a friend's dad going downtown wearing an unbuttoned shirt, a blue mohawk and gaudy jewelry .
But Irsay is nothing if not passionate about his team -- a quality seemingly lacking in some owners -- and after the stressful lead-up to Sunday's emotional game, he's more than entitled to celebrate the win however he damn well pleases.
Now, for some links:
• Read about one man's noble quest to throw a complete game with Mariano Rivera in MLB 13 The Show.
• A man knitted a 12-foot scarf while running the Kansas City Marathon.
• JaVale McGee and Evan Fournier recreate Mario Kart:
• Via KSK , this is just how the Chiefs meant for this play to go:
• The St. Louis Rams have reportedly discussed signing Tim Tebow but likely won't do so.
• Tracy McGrady says he considered using performance-enhancing drugs during his NBA career.
• Vontae Davis called Peyton Manning Tom Brady:
• Cincinnati's Aaron Brown had a rare 90-yard interception return for a touchback:
• Lindsey Vonn says she trusts that Tiger Woods won't cheat on her .
• The top bid on the Ahmad Rashad-signed pink Oregon helmet is already up over $20,000 .
• Via BuzzFeed Sports , Ray Drew's ejection for targeting may have been the worst such call of the year so far:
• Uhhh... security?!?:
A drunk guy in a Zach Thomas jersey just stumbled into press box and is screaming and cursing
-- Andrew Abramson (@AbramsonPBP) October 20, 2013 • Arnold Palmer rode into the Wake Forest game on a motorcycle:
• Is Major League Baseball considering a ban on home plate collisions ?
• Sounds like the Orlando Magic are ditching morning shootarounds this season.
• Someone pretending to be Tom Izzo was fired out of a cannon at Michigan State's Midnight Madness event:
• Goalie goal alert:
• The Milwaukee Bucks got in on the Drake hands video game:
• The San Jose Sharks' Brent Burns is ditching his beard for charity .
• Philip Rivers is expecting his seventh (!) child .
• Ole Miss' Gatorade bath skills could use some fine-tuning:
• The Ohio State band moonwalked during the halftime show Saturday:
• The Utah Jazz rookies painted their nails pink as part of a hazing ritual:
• Bill Russell was arrested for allegedly having a loaded gun at the Seattle airport.
• Oregon's defensive coordinator called out Mike Leach after the Ducks' win over Washington State.
• This is a serious cake:
Great night supporting our good friends and makers of the famous OSU Stadium Cake! #Buckeyes #BuckeyeNation pic.twitter.com/1zDLuddN45
-- Keith Althouse (@dmsalthouse) October 18, 2013 • Somehow, I expected Harvey Updyke's reaction to this photoshop to be worse:
I'm just not sure how I feel about this, but it seems sacreligious. RT @CambroLiving #oBAMA pic.twitter.com/DHKCuVl6mr
-- Harvey Updyke (@getupdyked) October 18, 2013 • The Buffalo Sabres ended practice with a dance-off:
• Bill Parcells' horse won a $250,000 race at Belmont.
• The NFL's latest fine on Ndamukong Suh was levied simply to get his attention .
• The Reds might be looking to get rid of Brandon Phillips and the Braves would reportedly take him -- as long as they can get rid of Dan Uggla in the process.
• Thursday's episode of Parks and Rec gave baseball stat geeks a shoutout in the form of a law office sign:
The law firm photo on my phone -- genius from @KenTremendous and the folks at Parks and Rec. pic.twitter.com/ZfXwrAhQ9D
-- Joe Posnanski (@JPosnanski) October 18, 2013 • Kurt Busch got his Ricky Bobby on at Talladega this weekend:
. @KurtBusch is ready to #ShakeAndBake at @TalladegaSuperS in his No. 78 Wonder Chevy SS » http://t.co/u0xZvUjK91 pic.twitter.com/TdtJHmEN4D
-- FOX SPORTS: NASCAR (@NASCARONFOX) October 17, 2013 • At least they were in good spirits before they got eliminated from the playoffs:
Yasiel Puig and Adrian Gonzalez sign Mickey Mouse and Rally Squirrel posters made by Busch Stadium Sign Guy. pic.twitter.com/xuwC4jTQUg
-- Molly Knight (@molly_knight) October 18, 2013
The original article can be found at FOXSports.com: Buzz: Irsay rants after win.