If you had to guess one college football team that would be rocking custom uniforms to support breast cancer awareness this month, you most likely would have guessed the team that rocks custom uniforms for just about everything.
So it probably comes as little surprise that the Oregon Ducks will be wearing a pink-themed kit for Saturday's game against Washington State.
But just because it's predictable doesn't mean it can't also be awesome, and the Ducks' new getup, being worn to raise awareness and money for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund, truly is stunning.
var paEmbedId = 1029305; var paEmbedWidth = 600; var paEmbedOemId = 500; var paServer = 'http://www.goducks.com/'; var paIframe = true;
"Cancer has touched so many lives and hopefully, together with Nike and the Kay Yow Cancer Fund, we can help create awareness and help raise money for the fight against women's cancers," Oregon football coach Mark Helfrich said in a statement on the school's website. "It is an honor to join Coach Yow's team in a fight that unites us all."
To raise the money, Nike and the university will be auctioning off a limited number of the team's pink helmets, with all proceeds going to the foundation. The auction will feature five helmets a day for five days and will include lids signed by Helfrich and Oregon alums Dan Fouts, Joey Harrington, Ahmad Rashad and Phil Knight. (You can bid on the auctions here .)
So say what you will about the Nike-funded money pit that is the University of Oregon, and hate their arrangement if you want to as soon as the auction is over. But on Saturday, they'll be using their relationship with the apparel giant for a good cause, and they're going to look pretty fly while doing it.
Now, for some links:
- The Toronto Maple Leafs' locker room victory song is a Miley Cyrus tune, but no one is claiming responsibility .
- Northwestern is going peanut free on Saturday against Minnesota.
Confirmed: Yao Ming is taller than Muggsy Bogues: http://t.co/RxmgDb8EFu pic.twitter.com/I7OX31wD8I
-- SB Nation (@sbnation) October 17, 2013 - In one of his new commercials, LeBron James is a human beatbox:
- David Stern says the NBA would consider moving game start times to accommodate an international audience.
- Michael Jordan called Grizzlies owner Robert Pera's 1-on-1 challenge " comical ." I think he's just scared.
- Byron Mullins put a little too much mustard on this pass:
- Maybe I'm misjudging the sport's following, but is this really what NASCAR fans want to be drinking at the track?
At @TXMotorSpeedway in Nov. - the Beer & Bacon Milkshake. For the craft beer & pig-loving lactose-tolerant race fan. pic.twitter.com/9NCGa1t8rG
-- nascarcasm (@nascarcasm) October 16, 2013 - A group of Mexican Indian children are getting recognition for their shoeless basketball skills .
- HBT poses an interesting question: What happens to the neighborhood play in baseball if managers ever get replay challenges?
- Condoleezza Rice says she " respectfully disagrees " with Pat Dye's assessment of her qualifications to be on the College Football Playoff committee.
- RG3 and Josh Wilson don wings for breast cancer awareness:
Your browser does not support iframes.
The girl in this Ole Miss video has definitely been drinking and may be the world's best fan:
- An unbeatable NHL card collection is up for grabs .
- Seattle and Kansas City seem to be beefing over noise records .
- Lee Jenkins wrote a great feature on Kobe Bryant over at SI.
- Via SB Nation, Adrian Gonzalez celebrated his home run Wednesday with an actual Mickey Mouse celebration.
- For at least one day, Royce White overcame his fear of flying:
Pretty... but I never get used to it. Pilots did a great job. #AnxietyTroopers pic.twitter.com/Tp5neKbDaZ
-- Royce White (@Highway_30) October 16, 2013 - Some sucker paid a boatload for the engagement ring Kris Humphries gave Kim Kardashian.
- Former NFLer Irving Fryar was indicted in New Jersey for allegedly stealing $700,000 -- which still wouldn't have been enough to buy that Kardashian ring.
- Michelle Wie ate a live squid. When in Rome, I guess:
The original article can be found at FOXSports.com: Buzz: Oregon to sport pink lids.