City bounces back with win over Hull City

Second-half goals from Alvaro Negredo and Yaya Toure saw Manchester City return to the win column on Saturday with a 2-0 triumph over Hull City at the Etihad Stadium.

City was stunned 3-2 at Cardiff City last weekend, and the club found it tough to break down a stubborn Hull defense on Saturday.

Goalkeeper Allan McGregor did well to keep Hull level at halftime, but the introduction of Negredo after the break helped City unlock the Tigers.

Pablo Zabaleta got down the wing and delivered a cross into the area for Negredo, who got up to head the ball beyond the reach of McGregor, putting City ahead 1-0 and calming some of the nerves around the stadium.

The hosts remained a goal up as the match wound down, but Toure made sure his team secured all three points when he curled home a well-taken free kick after Samir Nasri had drawn a foul near the edge of the penalty area.

Cardiff City 0, Everton 0

Cardiff, Wales - Another game, another draw for Everton as the Toffees were held to a 0-0 stalemate on Saturday at Cardiff City.

New Everton boss Roberto Martinez has seen his club draw its first three matches, including back-to-back scoreless draws.

Saturday's contest will certainly leave the Everton boss frustrated as his team controlled the play for large spells but was unable to cash in against a tough Cardiff side.

The best chance of the game came late in the first half when a deflected header from Nikica Jelavic forced a superb diving stop from Cardiff goalkeeper David Marshall.

The Bluebirds will be pleased to have started the season with four points from three games, while Martinez must find a way to get more goals from his side.

Newcastle 1, Fulham 0

Newcastle, England - Hatem Ben Arfa scored Newcastle's first goal of the season in the 86th minute on Saturday, and it was enough for a 1-0 victory over Fulham at St James' Park.

After failing to score in its first two games this season, it looked like another frustrating day for the Magpies after Papiss Cisse saw his header come back off the crossbar.

But Ben Arfa finally found the net four minutes from time with a brilliant individual play to halt the scoreless drought at 411 minutes.

The Frenchman created just enough space at the edge of the penalty area to lash a left-footed shot past helpless Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale, handing Fulham its second defeat in three games.

Norwich City 1, Southampton 0

Norwich, England - Nathan Redmond's 68th-minute goal was the difference as Norwich City claimed its first victory of the campaign, a 1-0 triumph over Southampton at Carrow Road on Saturday.

Southampton had a clear penalty appeal turned down in the first half when a shot from Adam Lallana struck the outstretched arm of Bradley Johnson, although the referee wasn't interested.

Lallana also saw a powerful volley strike the post before halftime, but it was a nice piece of skill from Redmond in the second half that separated the two sides.

The 19-year-old scored his first Premier League goal by driving toward the penalty area from the left wing and beating goalkeeper Artur Boruc at his near post with a well-placed shot.

Stoke City 1, West Ham 0

London, England - Jermaine Pennant came off the bench to score the lone goal in the 82nd minute as Stoke City notched its second win of the season, a 1-0 victory over West Ham at Upton Park.

The Hammers looked set to keep a third successive clean sheet in a game that produced few clear-cut chances, but the arrival of Pennant in the 76th minute changed that.

Glenn Whelan drew a foul near the edge of the penalty area on West Ham's Mohamed Diame, and Pennant stepped up to curl the ball past the wall and inside the right post, leaving goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen with little chance of keeping it out.

Crystal Palace 3, Sunderland 1

London, England - Crystal Palace secured its first win of the season on Saturday at Selhurst Park with two goals in the final 11 minutes to notch a 3-1 victory over Sunderland.

Daniel Gabbidon knew little about his opening goal in the ninth minute when he was in the right place at the right time to redirect the ball into the net following a scramble in front of goal.

Steven Fletcher came off the bench for the Black Cats in the second half and he headed home the equalizer in the 64th minute from Jack Colback's cross.

But the turning point came in the 78th minute when Palace forward Dwight Gayle was tripped inside the box by Sunderland's John O'Shea, earning the defender a red card.

Gayle picked himself up and fired his spot kick underneath goalkeeper Kieren Westwood to put Palace up, 2-1, while Stuart O'Keefe scored in stoppage time to wrap up the win.