Published July 03, 2013
| Sports Network
Just one day after being acquired in a trade, Scott Feldman will make his Baltimore Orioles debut on Wednesday in the second contest of a three-game series versus the Chicago White Sox.
Baltimore's starters rank 27th in baseball with a 4.82 earned run average and the hope is that Feldman will add some consistency. He went 7-6 with a 3.46 ERA in 15 starts this year with the Chicago Cubs, which received starter Jake Arrieta and reliever Pedro Strop from the Orioles in the deal.
The right-handed Feldman is familiar with the American League after pitching for Texas from 2005-12. For his career, the 30-year-old is 46-50 with a 4.66 ERA in 219 games (116 starts).
Feldman is 4-2 with a 4.20 ERA in 14 career meetings with the White Sox, including eight starts. He faced them at home while with the Cubs on May 29 and walked away with a win after allowing two runs over six innings.
Feldman will try to get Baltimore back into the win column after it was denied a fifth straight win with a 5-2 setback in Tuesday's opener. Jason Hammel gave up five runs on nine hits over his seven innings of work, yielding home runs to Adam Dunn and Conor Gillaspie.
"The home runs are killing me this year," said Hammel. "That's the bottom line."
Brian Roberts, in his second game back from an extended stint on the disabled list, hammered one into the left-field bleachers in the third inning for his first home run of the season. Nick Markakis had three of Baltimore's eight hits.
Dunn hit a two-run homer and Gordon Beckham had three hits and drove in a run for the White Sox, who had lost five in a row. John Danks limited the Orioles to a pair of runs over seven-plus frames.
"We know how good we are," Danks said. "We know we got a (tough) road ahead of us. We did it to ourselves. But we know how capable we are of going on a run. We just hope we're able to do it, starting now."
White Sox designated hitter Paul Konerko went 0-for-4 in his return to the lineup after missing six games with lower back tightness.
Hector Santiago will look to put a rough outing behind him tonight for the White Sox.
Pitching the first game of a doubleheader versus the Cleveland Indians on Friday, Santiago could not hold an early lead as he surrendered five runs on seven hits and three walks in just 2 1/3 frames of work. He was taken off the hook however, getting a no-decision in the 19-10 setback.
"You have a five-run lead and you just want to go out and just keep throwing zeroes," said Santiago. "I was trying to pound the zone and it's just one of those things. I felt like I threw enough strikes ... just fell in there and went through a hole."
Santiago's horrid start came after he held Kansas City to a run over eight innings of a victory on June 21, but the left-hander now stands 3-5 on the season with a 3.59 ERA in 20 appearances this season, including nine starts.
The 25-year-old will make his first career start against Baltimore after having faced them twice in relief previously.
This series marks the first meeting of the season between these two clubs. Baltimore won six of eight encounters in 2012.