Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was in Fall River District Court on Thursday, this time to learn that his appeal to be released on bail was denied.
Hernandez was arrested Wednesday on a murder charge and denied bail stemming from a homicide investigation into the death of Odin Lloyd on June 17. He pleaded not guilty.
Less than two hours after his arrest the Patriots cut ties with the former University of Florida standout, releasing the former Pro Bowl selection.
On Thursday, Hernandez's defense team, led by Michael Fee, made an appeal for Hernandez to be released on bail. Defense attorney James Sultan's argument focused on Hernandez's celebrity not allowing him to flee and the lack of a criminal record should allow him to receive bail.
However, Superior Court Judge Honorable Renee Duplas disagreed.
In addition to first-degree murder, Hernandez also faces five gun-related charges, including carrying a firearm without a license.
Reports also surfaced Thursday that Hernandez is being investigated in connection with a July 2012 double murder in Boston. The Boston Globe reported the additional investigation, citing two law enforcement officials briefed on the matter.
According to the Globe, Daniel Abreu and Safino Furtado were shot dead in the early morning of July 16, 2012, in their car while at a traffic light. The paper said that Lloyd may have had knowledge of Hernandez's involvement in that murder, serving as motive.
"The motive might have been that the victim knew (Hernandez) might have been involved," one of the officials said to the Globe.
Hernandez, who signed a five-year contract extension worth a reported $40 million last summer, spent three seasons with the Patriots. He set career highs of 79 catches, 910 receiving yards and seven touchdowns during his Pro Bowl season of 2011. He played in just 10 games due to injuries last year and finished with 51 receptions for 483 yards with five touchdowns.