Published May 27, 2013
Kevin Harvick came on strong at the end to win his second Coca-Cola 600 in the last three years, but it’s Jimmie Johnson who holds onto the top spot in the FOXSports.com/SPEED.com Power Rankings for this week.
This week’s list:
1. JIMMIE JOHNSON — After winning the Sprint All-Star Race, finishing 22nd in the Coca-Cola 600 was a huge disappointment for Johnson. Last week: 1.
2. MATT KENSETH — As usual, Kenseth led a bunch of laps, but he got caught up in a late-race crash and finished 15th. Last week: 2.
3. KASEY KAHNE — For most of the weekend, Kahne had the dominant car, finishing second for the third time this year on a 1.5-mile track. Last week: 6.
4. KEVIN HARVICK — Two wins in the last four races for the not-so-lame duck driver from Richard Childress Racing. Last week: 8.
5. CARL EDWARDS — Although he finished a respectable 11th, at no point was Edwards really a serious contender to win. Last week: 5.
6. CLINT BOWYER — Another top-10 finish for Bowyer, who is quietly putting together a very good season. Last week: 9.
7. DENNY HAMLIN — He was not the fastest of the Joe Gibbs Racing cars, but Hamlin finished better than both his teammates. Last week: 7.
8. DALE EARNHARDT JR. — What can you say? Earnhardt and Kyle Busch both blew up on the same lap, enduring ugly endings to their respective races. Last week: 4.
9. KURT BUSCH — From the time he rolled off the trailer Thursday, the elder Busch was bad fast all weekend long. Last week: 10.
10. KYLE BUSCH — Wow. An engine failure strikes Busch again, as he falls out of the top-10 in points. This could be a bad omen after a promising start to the season. Last week: 3.
11. MARTIN TRUEX JR. — With a ninth-place finish, Truex moved into the top 10 in points for the first time all season. Last week: 20.
12. JOEY LOGANO — Fifth place was a good night for Logano, who has the best average finish at CMS of any active driver. Last week: 11.
13. PAUL MENARD — A curious stat: Menard finished 13th in the race, but picked up three positions in the points. Last week: 19.
14. RYAN NEWMAN — A sixth-place finish was Newman’s best result since the season-opening Daytona 500. Last week: 15.
15. BRAD KESELOWSKI — Contact with Danica Patrick put Keselowski into the wall, en route to a 36th-place finish. Last week: 14.
16. JAMIE MCMURRAY — A top-20 finish for McMurray, but overall not a strong night for the driver. Last week: 16.
17. JEFF GORDON — The scariest impact of the night belonged to Gordon, who hit where there was no SAFER barrier. Last week: 12.
18. GREG BIFFLE — Tough night for Biffle, who wrecked in the engine oil let go by Earnhardt’s car. Last week: 13.
19. ARIC ALMIROLA — Contact with Mark Martin resulted in Almirola being involved in the same hard wreck that took Gordon out. Last week: 18.
20. TONY STEWART — The best finish of the season for Stewart, who finished seventh. Will he get hot soon? Last week: Unranked.
Tom Jensen is the Editor in Chief of SPEED.com, Senior NASCAR Editor at RACER and a contributing Editor for TruckSeries.com. You can follow him online at twitter.com/tomjensen100.