Sports

Newman says he tried to contact NASCAR about airborne concerns but has not heard back

Driver Ryan Newman, left, talks with his crew in the garage area during practice, Friday May 10, 2013, in Darlington, S.C., for Saturday's NASCAR Sprint Cup series auto race. (AP Photo/Mic Smith)

Driver Ryan Newman, left, talks with his crew in the garage area during practice, Friday May 10, 2013, in Darlington, S.C., for Saturday's NASCAR Sprint Cup series auto race. (AP Photo/Mic Smith)  (The Associated Press)

Ryan Newman said he has tried to contact NASCAR about his concerns following a late-race accident at Talladega Superspeedway and has not heard from them.

Newman's race ended last week when Kurt Busch went airborne and landed atop Newman's No. 39 as part of a 12-car crash. Newman said afterward on TV that NASCAR has made significant safety advances but still can't figure out how to keep cars on the track. He used a vulgarity in his interview.

Newman was not fined for his comments.

Newman said Friday after qualifying for the Southern 500 he tried to contact someone at NASCAR "who could make a difference." He said he has not yet gotten a response. Newman said he felt he fairly voiced his frustration over the Talladega crash.