Driver Brad Keselowski climbs into his race car during practice for Sunday's NASCAR Sprint Cup series STP 400 auto race at Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, Kan., Saturday, April 20, 2013. (AP Photo/Orlin Wagner)The Associated Press
President Barack Obama poses with, from left, NASCAR driver Brad Keselowski, team owner Roger Penske, and crew chief Paul Wolfe, along with the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship and Keselowski's car during a ceremony on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, Tuesday, April 16, 2013, to honor Keselowski's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)The Associated Press
LONG BEACH, Calif. – Roger Penske said his organization wasn't cheating but rather working in a gray area of the rule book when NASCAR confiscated parts from the cars of defending champion Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano.
NASCAR severely punished Penske Racing this week with six-race suspensions for seven team members, $200,000 in fines and the loss of 25 points from each driver. Penske is appealing.
The team owner said Saturday at the IndyCar race in Long Beach the parts taken from the rear-end housings of both Fords last week in Texas had been approved by NASCAR.
Penske says NASCAR has accused the team of modifying the parts after approval.
He said Logano had already passed pre-race inspection at Texas when NASCAR called the car back to tech after Keselowski's had failed.