American midfielder Stuart Holden back on Bolton roster for FA Cup match

Published January 14, 2013

| Associated Press

American midfielder Stuart Holden could make his return from a long-term knee injury on Tuesday after being included on Bolton's roster for its FA Cup replay at Sunderland.

Holden injured his right knee during a challenge by Manchester United's Jonny Evans during a Premier League game on March 19, 2011. Holden returned from surgery to play in a League Cup match against Aston Villa that Sept. 20, then had surgery on the same knee eight days later.

Holden played 65 minutes in a reserve team match last week, and Bolton manager Dougie Freedman included the 27-year-old on his roster for the team's FA Cup third-round replay. Freedman said he hasn't decided whether Holden will play.

Bolton was relegated to the second tier for this season, and Freedman said he was thrilled to have Holden back. He says "I must pay credit to him and the mental strength he's shown, and also to the way he handles himself around the place."

Holden was a member of the 2010 U.S. World Cup team and has 17 international appearances.

URL

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/01/14/american-midfielder-stuart-holden-back-on-bolton-roster-for-fa-cup-match/