Durham, NC – Duke University and head football coach David Cutcliffe have agreed to a contract extension.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but the new pact runs through June 2019.
Duke is 6-5 heading into its regular-season finale against Miami-Florida and is bowl-eligible for the first time since 1994. The Blue Devils are 21-38 since Cutcliffe took over for the 2008 season.
The 21 wins are 11 more than the Blue Devils totaled in eight seasons before Cutcliffe's arrival.
"Without question, we have already made great discernible progress since David's arrival," said Duke athletic director Kevin White in a statement Wednesday. "However, as we assess our future -- based on prospect evaluations, ongoing recruitment activity and player development -- we are extremely excited, if not euphoric! To be sure, 'Coach Cut' represents just a great fit at Duke. David and the staff have done an exemplary job of leading the program, while subscribing to the highest intuitional ideals, both academically and athletically."
Duke is 5-1 at home this season and likely headed to a bowl game for the first time since a loss to Wisconsin in the 1994 Hall of Fame Bowl. The Blue Devils haven't won a bowl game since a 7-6 victory over Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl after the 1960 season.
"We've accomplished some of the goals we laid out five years ago, but are nowhere close to where we want to be," said Cutcliffe.
The 1976 Alabama graduate was previously a head coach at Ole Miss from 1999-2004 and guided the Rebels to a mark of 44-29 with five bowl appearances. He was an assistant at Tennessee from 1982-98 and again from 2006-07. There was speculation he would return to the Vols when their head coaching position was open after the 2009 season, but decided to remain at Duke.