Published October 02, 2012
| Associated Press
NEW YORK – NHL labor talks resumed Tuesday at the league office, but no progress was made as both sides continued to focus on secondary matters and not the core economic issues that continue to divide owners and players.
"Today," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said, "was not overly encouraging."
There are no further talks scheduled.
Steve Fehr, special counsel to the players' association, and Winnipeg Jets defenseman Ron Hainsey represented the NHLPA, and arrived at headquarters in the morning without speaking to reporters. Daly met the media after the meetings broke up.
"No progress to report," Daly said. "No progress made."
Which now begs the question about the regular season. The entire preseason has already been wiped out, training camps are on hold, and now the season -- which was slated to begin Oct. 11 -- is in serious jeopardy.
"We are closer by definition (to canceling regular season games)," Daly said. "We are focused on minimizing the damage."
Daly estimated that the league lost $100 million in revenues from the canceled preseason.
"We're looking for a long-term deal that's fair to the players, league and fans," he said. "Certainly, we're trying to be as creative as (we can be)."
Now, in its third week, the lockout has forced many players to head overseas to play on month-to-month contracts. Others who are eligible to play at the lower levels opened training camp last week with American Hockey League affiliates.