With his dominating victory in the FedEx 400 benefiting Autism Speaks at the Monster Mile, Jimmie Johnson vaults back to the top of the FOXSports.com/SPEED.com Power Rankings.
This week’s list:
1. JIMMIE JOHNSON — The five-time champion now has won three races in the last four weekends. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Is a sixth championship in the offing? Last week: 3rd.
2. MATT KENSETH — Clearly the class of the Roush Fenway Racing Fords, Kenseth posted his seventh top-five finish of the year, tied for the series high. Last week: 4th.
3. DALE EARNHARDT JR. — No, Junior didn’t win. But he finished fourth and moved to third in points, as his dream season continues. Last week: 5th.
4. GREG BIFFLE — As good as Roush Fenway Racing usually is at the Monster Mile, Biffle struggled to finish 11th, which was a disappointing result. He was off a little all weekend, Last week: 2nd.
5. KEVIN HARVICK — A great result for Harvick, who rallied from a bad pit stop to finish second to Johnson. It was Happy’s first top five since Auto Club Speedway. Last week: 9th.
6. DENNY HAMLIN — Dover is usually Hamlin’s worst track and this time out was no exception, as he finished 18th. Last week: 1st.
7. MARTIN TRUEX JR. — On the one hand, seventh was a solid result for Truex. On the other, he was expected to be faster. Last week: 8th.
8. KYLE BUSCH — At least Busch was fast before the engine let go in his Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota. Last week: 6th.
9. BRAD KESELOWSKI — Last week: 7th. Not a great run for Keselowski, but a 12th-place result did no harm.
10. TONY STEWART — Those two races Stewart won earlier this year suddenly seem like a very long time ago. Last week: 12th.
11. CLINT BOWYER — It was a nice day for Bowyer, who moves into the top 10 in points. Last week: 13th.
12. RYAN NEWMAN — After his 15th-place finish in Dover, Newman holds on to the final Chase spot for now. Last week: 14th.
13. KASEY KAHNE — For the first time in his career, Kahne has finished in the top 10 seven races in a row. Last week: 11th.
14. CARL EDWARDS — Now out of the top 10, Edwards is suddenly looking vulnerable after his 26th-place finish at Dover. Last week: 10th.
15. ARIC ALMIROLA — Wow, a great run for Almirola, who finished sixth, his best since Homestead last year. Last week: 16th.
16. PAUL MENARD — The Richard Childress Racing driver is relentlessly consistent, if not especially fast. Last week: 15th.
17. JOEY LOGANO — Although he faded a little late, Logano did well to finish eighth. Last week: 19th.
18. JEFF GORDON — Best car in the field and a 13th-place finish. The story of Gordon’s year. Last week: 18th.
19. JEFF BURTON — A blown engine left Burton frustrated and disappointed. Last week: 17th.
20. MARK MARTIN — Led 43 laps but finished 14th. Last week: 20th.
Tom Jensen is the Editor in Chief of SPEED.com, Senior NASCAR Editor at RACER and a contributing Editor for TruckSeries.com. You can follow him online at twitter.com/tomjensen100.