Luke Donald skipping Par 3 Contest

Published April 03, 2012

| Sports Network

World No. 1 Luke Donald will not play in Wednesday's Par 3 Contest at Augusta National, the pre-Masters competition he won last year.

Donald said Tuesday that last year, he had a "very focused goal" of trying to win the Par 3 Contest and the Masters. He went on to tie for fourth in the tournament, continuing the trend that no winner of the Par 3 Contest has gone on to win that year's Masters.

"It was something that I wanted to do, something that was different, to try and defy convention I suppose. And I almost did it. I had a good chance at winning both," Donald said. "But this year I'm just going to concentrate on the main one."

He said that he will play nine holes Wednesday, a relaxed day to get ready for Thursday. The Englishman is still in search of his first major title.

URL

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/04/03/luke-donald-skipping-par-3-contest/