Wake Forest women ousted by No. 6 Maryland in ACC

Wake Forest had no trouble hitting shots through the first two rounds of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament. The Demon Deacons just couldn't do it long enough to keep their unlikely run going.

Wake Forest shot just 30 percent in Saturday's 73-58 loss to No. 6 Maryland in the ACC semifinals. It was the Demon Deacons' first trip to the semifinals since 1988 and just the third time ever.

Wake Forest shot 48 percent in the first-round win against Virginia Tech and 46 percent in an upset of No. 7 Miami in the quarterfinals. But they went just 11 for 39 (28 percent) in the first half and couldn't find much rhythm despite getting 21 more shots than the Terps thanks to their offensive rebounding.

Lakevia Boykin made 14 of 27 shots for 38 points through the first two games, but she scored just 11 on 5-for-19 shooting against Maryland. Chelsea Douglas led the team with 14 points but went 5 for 20 from the floor.

Many of the misses were short, though Secily Ray said she didn't think the team's third game in three days left them fatigued.

"I don't think it was much of a factor," Ray said. "We just didn't knock down shots. We got enough rest (Friday) night, and this morning we just did a walkthrough. We've got to take that on ourselves. We didn't knock down enough shots."

Alyssa Thomas had 18 points and 12 rebounds while Laurin Mincy added 13 for the third-seeded Terrapins (27-4). Maryland shot 53 percent and controlled the glass for their sixth straight victory.

The Terrapins advanced to Sunday's championship game for the third time in seven years and the first since winning the 2009 title. Maryland will face No. 15 Georgia Tech, the tournament's fourth seed who rolled past North Carolina State in Saturday's first semifinal.

Maryland ran off nine straight points spanning halftime to build a 10-point lead, then maintained control the rest of the afternoon against the cold-shooting Demon Deacons. Wake Forest never got closer than five again, as the Terrapins stretched their lead to 16 with about 8 minutes left.

Thomas, named ACC player of the year on Thursday, went 7 for 18 from the field and scored 13 points in the first half to help the Terps take a 33-27 lead at the break.

Maryland won the only regular-season meeting 86-58 on Jan. 19. The teams were tied at halftime in that one and Wake Forest trailed just 50-47 before Maryland ran off eight straight points then followed with a 19-2 spurt that blew the game open.

This time, Wake Forest didn't let Maryland speed completely out of sight, scrapping the entire way and getting within seven with about 4 minutes left. And tempers flared a bit after a couple of hard fouls that had bodies crashing to the court.

At one point, with official Dee Kantner stepping in between the jawing teams, Douglas pointed over Kantner's shoulder into the faces of the Terps players and received a technical foul with 5:37 left.

Later, a frustrated Ray pulled off her hairband as she walked to the Wake Forest bench after fouling out and flung it to the floor.

Maryland nearly doubled Wake Forest on the boards after halftime and finished with a 47-34 rebounding advantage. The Terrapins also scored 10 of their 15 second-chance points in the second half.

The biggest problem for Maryland was its 22 turnovers, which led to 19 points for the Demon Deacons to help offset some of their shooting woes.