Driver/owner Kyle Busch revealed Friday at Talladega Superspeedway that his racing organization is transitioning into NASCAR's second-tier series. Busch said that a driver lineup, crew chief and sponsorship information will be announced at a later date. He did note that the team will use a Toyota Camry.
"We're excited about it," Busch said. "It's a great opportunity for myself and for the Kyle Busch Motorsports organization, for everybody that's there now, and for everybody that we have on the line to hire and bring over to foresee that program being successful."
KBM and NEMCO Motorsports (Joe Nemechek's team) joined forces to field an entry for Kimi Raikkonen in the May 28 Nationwide race at Charlotte. Raikkonen, a former Formula One world champion, started 27th and finished 22nd in that event, driving the No.87 Toyota.
Busch's team will continue to run its No.18 entry full time in the Camping World Truck Series next year.
"The opportunity has finally come that we can move up to the Nationwide Series, and we've wanted to do that at Kyle Busch Motorsports for a couple of years," Busch added. "We actually wanted to have two truck teams out there this year, and we've kind of done that. We've run part time with a second team. It's been good, but this just kind of takes us to that next level.
"We would like to make it a long-term partnership, that it helps out over time with NASCAR and with the [Nationwide] Series, and making sure that Kyle Busch Motorsports can stay going."
Busch plans on running in some Nationwide races with his team next year. He has driven the No.18 Toyota for Joe Gibbs Racing in 20 Nationwide events so far this season, winning eight of them.
The Sprint Cup and Camping World Truck Series are racing this weekend at Talladega. Nationwide is in the midst of a two-week break before resuming its schedule on November 5 at Texas.