PITTSBURGH, Pa. - Pittsburgh Penguins defenceman Brooks Orpik had hernia surgery Thursday and is expected to be back in time for the start of the 2011-12 regular season.
The 30-year-old Orpik had a similar surgery on his left side last year. Dr. Lawrence Biskin operated on Orpik, who will need six to eight weeks to recover.
Orpik had one goal and 12 assists in 63 games for the Penguins in 2010-11. His plus-12 plus/minus ratio ranked third best among Pittsburgh defenders.
- Related Links
- Rookie Tyler Ennis comes up big for Sabres
- Halak anything but shaky in must-win game
- Keith: 'I just wanted to play in the NHL'
- Hornqvist latest key Pred to get hurt in playoffs
- Laperriere willing to trade pain for victory