SUNRISE, Fla. - The Florida Panthers have three days to convince Tomas Kopecky not to become an unrestricted free agent.
The NHL team acquired his rights from Chicago on Monday for a seventh-round draft pick.
Kopecky is due to become a free agent on Friday.
The 29-year-old forward had 42 points (15-27) in 81 games for the Blackhawks last season while earning US$1.2 million.
Florida still needs to add more than $20 million in payroll to reach the salary floor next year.
- Related Links
- Rookie Tyler Ennis comes up big for Sabres
- Halak anything but shaky in must-win game
- Keith: 'I just wanted to play in the NHL'
- Hornqvist latest key Pred to get hurt in playoffs
- Laperriere willing to trade pain for victory