Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho was banned for five Champions League games Friday after accusing European soccer's governing body of conspiring to help Barcelona.
UEFA's disciplinary panel ruled Mourinho made an "inappropriate" comment in a post-match interview. Mourinho also was sent from the dugout for comments to game officials during the first leg of the semifinals last week.
After Madrid's 2-0 loss, Mourinho said UEFA and referees actively tried to help Barcelona reach the Champions League final in each of the last three seasons.
He served one match of the ban when Madrid was eliminated Tuesday at Barcelona, a 1-1 draw. Another one-game ban was suspended provided there are no further infractions for three years.
That means Mourinho can't communicate with players and coaches at Madrid's first three group matches next season. UEFA also fined Mourinho $73,000.
Madrid said it would appeal to UEFA, contending the ruling body failed to clarify its disciplinary process.
"Our coach does not have the full right to defend himself since the declarations which merited the opening of the case, and for which he has been sanctioned, are unknown," Madrid said in a statement.
UEFA rules allow Mourinho to pursue an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport because his ban is for at least three matches.
In his post-game news conference, a combative Mourinho listed the referees who he said gave Barcelona favorable decisions in UEFA matches.
"Every semifinal the same thing always happens. Why? I'll live my whole life with this question but I hope one day to get the answer," Mourinho said.
Mourinho described it as a "scandal" that Chelsea, his former club, was denied penalty appeals against Barcelona in 2009.
It was a "miracle" that Mourinho's 10-man Inter Milan team eliminated Barcelona in the semifinals last year, the Portuguese coach said.
UEFA also banned Barcelona substitute goalkeeper Jose Pinto from the Champions League final for receiving a red card during a halftime brawl in Madrid.
UEFA also ruled that Madrid defender Pepe, who missed Tuesday's return after his red-card challenge on Barcelona defender Dani Alves, should serve no further sanction.
It fined Madrid $29,000 because the club's fans threw objects and stormed the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium field.
All the verdicts can be appealed.
The panel is already scheduled to meet May 16 after Madrid appealed UEFA's rejection of the club's protests regarding Barcelona players' behavior in the first leg.
Madrid accused Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets of directing a racist slur at Madrid defender Marcelo, who is black. In addition, Madrid asked UEFA to punish Busquets, Alves and Pedro Rodriguez for feigning injuries. It also wants UEFA to look again at Pepe's red card.