LAS VEGAS – NASCAR placed Robby Gordon on probation Saturday for an incident involving Kevin Conway in the garage at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
NASCAR officials didn't witness the run-in between the drivers, which was brought to NASCAR's attention by Conway, according to vice president of competition Robin Pemberton. He said the period of Gordon's probation has yet to be determined, and referred all questions to the two drivers.
Conway declined to discuss the matter, but said he filed a police report Friday evening.
"I'm sending you back to NASCAR, or to the Las Vegas police," Conway said. "That's all I can say about right now."
Las Vegas police Officer Barbara Morgan told The Associated Press on Saturday that Conway filed a misdemeanor battery complaint after the quarrel that occurred about 5 p.m.
Morgan said police did not witness the exchange and no arrest was made, and no summons issued. She said police will interview any possible witnesses and turn the investigation over to the Clark County district attorney in Las Vegas for a decision on whether charges will be filed.
Morgan said she did not know how long the process will take.
Gordon was unavailable for comment because he was in his car practicing Saturday.
Conway briefly drove for Gordon in the Sprint Cup Series last year, and the drivers are now suing each other over financial aspects of that deal. Gordon sued Conway sponsor Extenze in California court for $690,000 for the six races Conway drove for his team.
Conway is suing Gordon in North Carolina for $27,000 in money earned through the NASCAR Sprint Cup rookie of the year award.
Associated Press staff writer Ken Ritter contributed to this report from Las Vegas.