Manny Pacquiao to face Mosley May 7 in Las Vegas

Published December 22, 2010

| Reuters

By Mike Mouat

WINDSOR, Ontario (Reuters) - Manny Pacquiao will fight Shane Mosley, a former champion in three divisions, on May 7 in Las Vegas, promoter Bob Arum said Tuesday.

The fight, to be held at the MGM Grand, will be contested at the welterweight limit of 147 pounds, Top Rank promoter Arum told Reuters in a telephone interview.

"Mosley is very dangerous, he's a very slick fighter, very experienced," said Arum. "Manny's style is made to order for Shane. It should be a very, very interesting fight."

After considering a choice between Mosley, lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez and WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto, Pacquiao (52-3-2, 38 KOs) informed Arum of his choice last week in the Philippines.

"He (Pacquiao) liked Mosley because Mosley is better known than the other two," Arum said of the choice. "It is a name selection. He picked the guy that is known to more people because that is going to generate interest in the fight."

Arum said finalized the bout on Tuesday.

The 32-year-old Pacquiao, the current WBO welterweight champion and widely considered the world's best pound-for-pounder fighter, would have preferred a bout with undefeated Floyd Mayweather Jr., said Arum.

"We made no secret that Mayweather was our top priority," said Arum. "All Mayweather had to do was signal to us that he would have been available pending his court situation and we would have waited, but we heard nothing from him.

Mayweather, 33, was arrested at a Las Vegas casino last week on a misdemeanor battery charge after he allegedly assaulted a security guard at his gated community.

The 39-year-old Mosley, a Californian, is 46-6-1 with 39 knockouts but has a loss and a draw in his last two fights. He dropped a unanimous decision to Mayweather in May and had a draw with Sergio Mora in September.

(Editing by Steve Ginsburg)

URL

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/12/21/pacquiao-face-mosley-las-vegas/