Suh signs a five-year, $68 million deal with Lions

Published August 04, 2010

| FoxSports

As reported by FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer, the Detroit Lions and their first-round pick, DT Ndamukong Suh (6-4, 307, Nebraska, second overall), agreed to a five-year deal worth a maximum of $68 million, with $40 million guaranteed. The base of the deal is worth $60 million.

Last year's second overall pick, OT Jason Smith (St. Louis Rams), signed a six-year, $61.75 million deal, with $33 million guaranteed. That deal can void to five years provided Smith meets minimum time requirements (probably 35 percent) in one season and is on the roster 20 days before the start of the new league year in 2014, a source said.

The Lions reported to camp Friday, so Suh hasn't missed a lot of time, but he still has a lot to learn. But one thing is for certain, much is expected of him, even as a rookie.

Suh was one of college football's most dominant defensive linemen last season. He's known in scouting circles for his strength and hands to go along with a great motor. A personnel source said he's even capable of moving to defensive end if the team uses a 3-4 look. The only issue for personnel evaluators around the league was whether he'd be a better fit for a 3-4 scheme as opposed to the 4-3 the Lions use.

Detroit, which has had its share of problems on the interior defensive line, should be much improved in that area. They've added Suh and veteran DT Corey Williams in recent months, and both should play a big role in 2010 and beyond.

URL

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/08/04/suh-signs-year-million-deal-lions/