MONTREAL -- Semyon Varlamov will start in goal for the Washington Capitals Monday night (7 p.m. ET, TSN, RDS) in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs series against the Montreal Canadiens.
In Game 2, Caps coach Bruce Boudreau pulled Jose Theodore in favor of Varlamov, who had a strong stretch in goal for the Capitals during last spring’s Stanley Cup playoffs.
Varlamov made his NHL debut at Bell Centre on Dec. 13, 2008, earning a 2-1 win in front of a packed house and a national television audience on a Hockey Night in Canada game. Varlamov is just 6-2-4 with a 3.05 GAA and an .899 save pct. on the road this season.
"I think we said before the series started that if we were to go anywhere in this we’d probably have to use both goalies," Boudreau said.
- Related Links
- Central Scouting setting final draft list
- Penguins face tough tests this week
- Rinne's big week has Predators on a roll
- Atlantic: Kovalchuk waiting to explode
- Coyotes putting together franchise’s best season