For a lighter version that doesn't lack flavor try this veggie burger with creamy hummu and a cool yogurt topping.
- 1 Quart chickpeas (soaked overnight)
- 1/4 Cup white onion, small dice
- 6 Cloves of garlic, quartered
- 3/4 Quart parsley, (tightly packed) picked, rinsed, dried and rough chopped
- 1/4 Quart cilantro (tightly packed)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon salt
- 2 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 Teaspoon cayenne
- 2 Ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 #10 Can chickpeas, drained
- 1 Cup tahini paste
- 2 Cup olive oil
- 4 Tablespoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
Yogurt Spice Mix:
- 4 Teaspoon paprika
- 2 Teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Teaspoon turmeric
- 2 Teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 Teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 Teaspoon cayenne
- 2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Quart plain yogurt (drained)
- 2 Cup sour cream
- 4 Tablespoon cilantro, chiffonade
- 4 Tablespoon mint, chiffonade
- 2 Tablespoon lime juice
- 2 Teaspoon spice mix
- 1 Tablespoon sriracha
Drain and pat dry chickpeas. Mix ½ of the chickpeas with the parsley and cilantro in robot coupe for 2 minutes until it becomes a paste and turns the color green. Add the onion, garlic, spices and remaining chickpeas and mix until incorporated, but not long enough for the onions to release their liquid and season with lemon juice to taste in order to achieve a bright flavor. Form into 5 ounce patties and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes. Fry in a deep fryer set to 350°F until crispy.
This amount is for one batch in the robot coupe, and repeat these steps three times for about 15-17 veggie burgers
In a robot coupe place half the can of chickpeas, ½ Cup tahini and 1Tbsp lime juice. Blend while drizzling in half the olive oil until a smooth consistency. Add in 2Tbsp cumin and 1Tbsp cayenne and mix until well incorporated. Repeat the process for the second half of the can.
Yogurt Spice Mix:
Toast the paprika, pepper, turmeric, fennel seed and cumin. Add the remaining ingredients and grind in spice grinder.
Mix all until incorporated. Adjust Seasoning
Fry veggie patty until outside is brown and golden, remove and season.
Toast whole wheat hamburger bun.
On top bun add: - ½Tbsp hummus - ½Tbsp yogurt sauce - Lettuce/Tomato/Onion