This veggie and pasta salad makes a healthy and balanced lunch. You child may be able to order this in his or her school cafeteria, or you can make it at home.
- 1/2 Cup broccoli crowns, fresh or frozen
- 2/3 Cup tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tablespoon yellow onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon vegetable or olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 Teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 Teaspoon basil flakes
- 1/8 Teaspoon oregano flakes
- 1/8 Teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/8 Teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Pound whole grain pasta, any shape
- 1/4 Cup carrots, shredded
Day Before Step 1:
Cook pasta per manufacturer’s instructions. Drain; rinse with cool water; drain, transfer to a non-aluminum container, cover, refrigerate.
Prepare Italian Dressing: stir together oil, vinegar, pepper, garlic, mustard, basil, oregano, parsley, red pepper, cheese; transfer to a covered glass or plastic container; refrigerate.
In a pot bring water to a boil.
Wash and trim broccoli.
Place broccoli into boiling water for about 2 minutes.
Remove and cool rapidly by running under cold water and placing into the refrigerator.
Day of Serving Step 1:
Wash and dice tomatoes; combine with pasta.
Peel and thinly slice onions; combine with pasta.
Add carrots and broccoli to pasta.
Pour Italian Dressing over all combined ingredients; toss gently to coat all ingredients, refrigerate in covered non-aluminum container.