This rich, sourdough bread stuffing with sausage and braised fennel is sure to be a big winner at your Thanksgiving table.
- 1/2 Sourdough bread, cut into large dice and dried over night
- 2 Pieces Italian spicy sausage
- 1/2 Cup braised fennel
- 1/4 Cup carrot, small dice
- 1/4 Cup onion, small dice
- 1/4 Cup celery, small dice
- 1 Garlic clove, sliced thin
- 3 Sprigs thyme
- 2 Sprigs parsley
- 1 Cup Chicken stock, or water
- 1 Tablespoon sweet butter
- Salt and pepper
In a large sauté pan start to caramelize the carrots, onions, celery, and garlic.
When the vegetables begin to brown, add the sausage and cook until the sausage is fully cooked.
Then add the fennel, butter, stock and herbs, and let this simmer for about two minutes.
Then remove from the heat and add the dried sourdough bread. Toss lightly and put into a casserole or roasting dish.
Place the dish under the broiler for two minutes, until the top of the stuffing begins to brown.
Garnish with some chopped parsley and serve on the side with the whole roasted striped bass.