This is the original recipe for the "cabbage soup diet" that came out in the mid-1990's. The diet calls for eating unlimted quanitities of this veggie-filled dish, along with other select foods, and watch the pounds slip away. But you don't need to be a weight-loss plan to enjoy this hearty soup.
- 1 Head cabbage, chopped
- 6 Onions, sliced or chopped
- 2 Green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 Bunch celery, chopped
- 1 Bunch shallots or 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- 2 Chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 Envelope onion soup
- 48 ounces V8 vegetable juice
- 2 28 Oz. cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 Lemon, juice of
- 6 Crushed garlic cloves
- Pepper to taste
Place all in large stock pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 hour. Serve.