This savory and fun alternative to the backyard barbecue favorite can become a staple in your kitchen.
- 1 Sheet frozen puff pastry dough
- 1 Pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 Cup sweet onion, preferably Vidalia, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon steak seasoning, preferably Montreal
- 1 Tablespoon steak seasoning sauce
- 5 Slice cheese, preferably American, Swiss, or sharp Cheddar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Teaspoon water
Let the puff pastry dough sit out at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
In a bowl, mix the ground beef, onion, steak seasoning, and seasoning sauce together. Form into 5 small, flat patties.
Place the patties in a slow cooker for 1 hour on high. Remove and top each burger with a slice of cheese.
Roll the puff pastry sheet to flatten slightly.
Cut it into 5 relatively even rectangles.
Cover each burger with a piece of puff pastry and wrap it around the bottom, pinching all of the edges to seal. Place on a baking sheet, pinched side down.
Whisk together the egg yolk and water to make an egg wash.
Brush each wrapped pastry with the egg wash.
Bake for about 15 minutes, until the puff pastry is nice and brown.