B.Smith is the author of "B. Smith's Entertaining and Cooking for Friends" and "Rituals of Celebrations."
- 3 Cup of whole grain penne pasta
- 1/4 Ounce cup/container fat-free egg substitute
- 2 Cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 Tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- 1 Cup grated 75 percent light cheddar cheese
- 1 Cup fat-free non dairy slices, fine cut
Preheat the oven to 350 F
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, beat together the egg substitute, evaporated milk, melted butter or margarine, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and cayenne pepper in a medium sized bow.
Drain macaroni thoroughly. Layer the macaroni, cheddar and non dairy slices, fine cut in a 1 1/2 quart oven proof dish, ending with a layer of cheese.
Pour the egg mixture over it, and bake for 35 minutes until golden brown and bubbling. Serve immediately.