Allergy-Friendly Food for Families is a trustworthy, comprehensive, practical, and kid-friendly collection of recipes that covers the five most common allergens in kids: wheat, dairy, eggs, nuts, and soy. Each of the 120 recipes is free of at least three of these allergens; most are free of all five.
English cucumbers are ideal for these bright-tasting, bread-free sandwiches because they have fewer seeds than other varieties. To send this in a school lunch, pack the tuna and cucumber slices separately and let the kids assemble the sandwiches themselves.
- 3 Tablespoon mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoon chopped bread-and-butter pickles
- 2 5-ounce cans tuna in water, drained
- 1 to 2 English cucumbers, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
In a small bowl, add the mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and pickles. Stir to combine.
Add the tuna, and combine with the lemon dressing. Taste, and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
Assemble the cucumber sandwiches: Spread 1 tablespoon of tuna salad in the middle of 1 cucumber slice and top with a second slice. Repeat with the remaining cucumber slices until all of the tuna has been used. Serve.