Don't wait for a baseball game to eat hot dogs, pretzels and peanuts. Put them together in this fun and inventive hot dog recipe from The Coupon Clipping Cook. It's a dish that will delight sports fans and the whole family. The fresh slaw is also a fantastic way to sneak healthy vegtables into an outdoor favorite.
For the Slaw
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage (heaping)
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or salt to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Hot Dogs:
- 3 hot dogs
- 3 pretzel hot dog buns (or your favorite hot dog buns)
- ¾ cup whole honey roasted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds (for garnish)
In a small bowl add the mayonnaise, yellow mustard, Dijon mustard, and honey. Whisk together and set aside.
In a medium size bowl add the cabbage, carrots, green onion, salt, pepper, and the honey mustard mixture.
Toss all ingredients together until the cabbage mixture is lightly coated. Set the slaw mixture aside for a moment.
Coarsely chop the honey roasted peanuts and set aside.
Grill, microwave or boil the hot dogs.
Cut the pretzel rolls in half lengthwise leaving the bottom of the bun uncut about an inch from the bottom.
Lay some of the slaw in the bottom of the bun. Add the hot dog.
Top the hot dog with a bit of mustard, the remaining slaw, chopped peanuts, and garnish with the black sesame seeds.