The Brooklyn Kitchen brings us this beautiful and delicious salad that definitely makes a colorful statement. The flavors blend effortlessly together for a tasty side or main dish.
- 16 asparagus, trimmed
- 4 leeks, halved lengthwise and cleaned
- 3 tomatoes, halved widthwise
- 4 stalks green garlic
- 5 ½” thick slices of white crusty bread
- About ⅓ cup grapeseed oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cucumber, split lengthwise and sliced into ¼” halfmoons
- ¼ cup basil, leaves torn
- 2 tbsp chives, thinly sliced
- Smoked sea salt
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
Preheat grill or grill pan to medium high. Toss asparagus, leeks, tomatoes and green garlic with oil and season with salt and pepper. Once grill is heated, add vegetables and cook until they are tender and charred. Once the vegetables are cooked, remove them from the grill and, once cool enough to touch, cut into ½” pieces.
Brush bread with oil and season; place on grill and cook for a few minutes on each side until lightly chared. Remove bread from grill and cut into cubes.
Place grilled vegetables and bread in a large mixing bowl and add the cucumber, basil, chives, and a generous pinch of smoked sea salt. Drizzle with the red wine vinegar and olive oil and toss well; taste and add more seasoning or olive oil if needed.