This green chile hot dog from Sommer Collier of A Spicy Perspective will make you say OLE! Plus a quick and easy mole sauce gives these Mexican style hot dogs a serious wow-factor.
For the Mole Recipe:
- 2 dried Ancho chiles
- 4 dried Pasilla chiles (New Mexican, California, Anaheim)
- 1 Tb..butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tb. masa (you can sub a handful of broken-up tortilla chips)
- 3 Tb. creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tb. honey
- 2 oz. chopped Mexican chocolate (or bitter chocolate + a pinch of cinnamon)
For the Hot Dog Recipe:
- 8 hot dog buns
- 8 hot dogs
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 1 jar Green Chile or Salsa Verde (I used 505 Green Chile)
- 3/4 cup pico de gallo
- 1/2 crumbled California Queso Fresco
Fill a bowl with boiling hot water.
Place the chilies in the bowl to soften for15 minutes.
Meanwhile add the butter and onion to a sauce pot over medium heat.
Saute for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic.
Saute another minute and add all the mole ingredients except for the chocolate. (This includes the softened peppers. Remove the stems and seeds).
Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Carefully puree the mole base using an immersion blender.
Then stir in the chopped chocolate.Salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat the grill to high heat. Grill the hot dogs for 5 minutes, rotating once or twice.
Place each hot dog in a bun and top with mole, green chili, avocado slices, pico de gallo, and queso fresco.