You won't believe that these decadent PB&J on French toast sandwiches are less than 400 calories each.
- 2/3 Cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Large egg, lightly beaten
- 8 (1-ounce) Slices white whole-wheat bread
- 1/2 Cup strawberry preserves
- 6 Tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium shallow dish, stirring well with a whisk. Place bread slices on a flat surface. Spread 2 tablespoons preserves over each of 4 bread slices, and spread 11 ⁄2 tablespoons peanut butter over each of remaining 4 bread slices. Assemble sandwiches.
Carefully dip 2 sandwiches in milk mixture, turning to coat. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 11 ⁄2 teaspoons canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Place coated sandwiches in pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until toasted. Remove sandwiches from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 sandwiches, milk mixture, and oil. Sprinkle powdered sugar evenly over sandwiches; cut each sandwich in half diagonally.
Serving size: 1 sandwich -- Calories 394; FAT 19.4g (Sat 4.6g, Mono 8.7g, Poly 5.1g); Protein 14.9g; CARB 43.2g; Fiber 5.4g; Chol 48mg; Iron 1.6mg; Sodium 519mg; Calc 124mg