These cupcakes from The Kitchen Paper are deliciously dense and more cake-like than any flourless dessert we've ever made. Top them off with a chocolate cream cheese frosting and you have the perfect, most chocolatey cupcakes you can possibly make. Click here for more recipes like this from The Kitchen Paper.
For the cupcakes:
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (1/2 cup chocolate chips)
- ½ cup butter, chopped into pieces
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 4 ounces regular cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1¼ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat your oven to 375 F.
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter and chocolate and melt in 30 second increments until the butter is completely melted.
Whisk until the chocolate is also melted, and mixture is smooth.
Whisk in the brown sugar, then eggs, until smooth.
Sift the cocoa powder and espresso powder into the mixture, and mix until combined.
Fill each cupcake liner ⅔ full.
Bake until the tops are set, about 15 minutes.
Let fully cool before frosting.
For frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter together in a stand mixer. Mix until fully incorporated, light, and fluffy. Add the cocoa powder, then powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth, then divide evenly among cupcakes.