You won't have to travel to the midwest for this comfort meal!
- 4 Pound top round beef with fat cap
- 3 Tablespoon bacon fat or canola oil
- 3 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 Cup garlic cloves
- 1/2 Cup red wine
- 3 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Cup beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sourdough baguette rolls, halved and toasted
- 1 Cup chopped giardiniera vinaigrette vegetables
- 1 Cup jarred red sweet peppers, sliced
- 3 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoon salt
- 2 Tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon cayenne
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon red chili flakes
Rub the meat with the spice mix, cover tightly with plastic and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
Preheat the oven to 275˚F.
In a roasting pan over high heat, add the beef, bacon fat or oil, onions, and garlic. Saute for 15 minutes, or until the meat is nicely browned. Deglaze the pan with the wine wine and add the Worcestershire sauce, stock, and bay leaves.
Roast the meat about 1 hour 30 minutes, uncovered, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 135˚F in the center. Remove the meat, let it cool, and slice it very thin. Cool the broth in the roasting pan and remove the fat that rises to the top. Strain.
Reheat the broth and add the sliced meat. Place some meat on each toasted roll, ladle some broth over the meat, and top with giardiniera vegetables and red peppers.