A Virtual Super Bowl Party
We joined with our friends to help you plan the perfect Super Bowl party. Check out other recipes above from the Food Network and a host of other sites joining in our virtual big game party.
It's game time. Forget your standard issue party foods and make a batch of these cheesy, crispy, and a little spicy, hush puppies. Paired with a creamy ranch avocado dip, they are perfect addition to your Super Bowl festivities. Having a large gathering? This recipe easily doubles (or triples) to accommodate any size party.
- 1 Cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 Teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Cup buttermilk, well shaken
- 2 Tablespoon beaten egg
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon chopped seeded jalapeño chile
- 5 Ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Canola oil or vegetable oil for frying
- 1 lime
Creamy Ranch Avocado Dip
- 1/2 Cup mayonaise
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 Tablespoon buttermilk
- 1/2 Small red onion
- 1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Avocado (peeled, seeded and diced)
Whisk first 7 ingredients in a bowl just to to blend. Whisk buttermilk, egg, and jalapeno in small bowl to blend. Stir buttermilk mixture and cheddar cheese into dry ingredients.
Add about 1 1/2 inches of oil to a pan or dutch oven. Attach deep-fry thermometer to pan; heat oil to 320°F over medium heat. Working in batches of 4 or 5, drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil.
Cook until golden, turning occasionally, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer hush puppies to paper towels and squeeze just a bit of fresh lime juice over the top while they are still warm.
For the Avocado Ranch dip, place all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor. Process until mixture is smooth and well blended. Serve alongside Hush Puppies.