In this week's edition of Meatless Monday, these delectable pockets of pasta are filled with a salty-sweet cheese and nut filling which marries well with a variety of pasta sauces. If you’re in a rush, wrap the filling in wonton wrappers instead of making fresh pasta. This recipe comes to us from Michelle of It’s a Dog’s Life.

Ingredients

For the filling:

  • 1/2 Cup candied walnuts
  • 1/2 Cup parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 Cup low fat ricotta cheese
  • 1 Egg

For the pasta:

  • 2 Cup flour
  • 3 Eggs

Preparation

To prepare the filling:

Step 1:

In a food processor, pulse the walnuts until they are lightly ground.

Step 2:

Add the grated parmesan cheese, ricotta and the egg to the food processor and blend until it is a stiff paste. Set aside.

To prepare the pasta:

Step 1:

Pour the flour into a large bowl in a large mound. Make a well in the center of the flour mound. Crack eggs into the well.

Step 2:

Using a fork or your hands, kneed dough until it gets smooth, adding a little water if dough is too dry. Let dough rest on a floured surface at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.

Step 3:

Cut dough into quarters. Using a pasta maker or a rolling pin, roll out the 4 pieces of dough into long strips. The strips of dough should be about 12 inches long and 2-3 inches wide.

Step 4:

Spread out the strips of dough. Scoop filling about 1 tablespoon at a time onto 2 of the strips of dough, spacing them out a little more than an inch at each side. You should be able to fit about 10 tablespoons of filling on each piece of dough, spaced out.

Step 5:

Cover the 2 strips of dough with walnut filling with the other 2 strips of dough. Squeeze the dough around the mounds of filling to get the air out.

Step 6:

Using a pizza cutter or knife cut the dough and filling into raviolis. Using a fork, crimp the ravioli’s edges.

Step 7:

Set ravioli aside while you bring a large pot of water to a simmer. Do not drop raviolis in rapidly boiling water or they will fall apart. When water is heated and simmering, drop 4-5 raviolis in the pot at a time, being careful not to crowd. Cook raviolis in simmering water for about 5 minutes, or until raviolis float to the top. Repeat cooking process for the remaining 3 or 4 batches, until all 20 raviolis are cooked. Drizzle a touch of olive oil onto any ravioli you are not eating immediately, so leftovers don’t stick together.

Step 8:

Serve the ravioli with your favorite pasta sauce, or with olive oil, fresh basil and parmesan cheese.

Nutritional Information

Serving Size 1 (139g) Calories 510 Calories from Fat 193 (37%) Amount Per Serving %DV Total Fat 21.7g 28% Saturated Fat 6.7g 23% Monounsaturated Fat 4.3g Polyunsaturated Fat 8.0g Trans Fat 0.0g Cholesterol 242mg 74% Sodium 412mg 10% Potassium 213mg 6% Total Carbohydrate 53.6g 16% Dietary Fiber 2.7g 10% Sugars 3.0g Protein 26.8g 39%