The Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup at Canada’s Le Cellier restaurant in Epcot is like a meal, especially with a good piece of crusty bread.
- 1/4 Pound smoked bacon (finely chopped)
- 1 Medium red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 Cup celery (finely chopped)
- 1/2 Cup carrot (finely chopped)
- 3 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 Cup whole milk (scalded)
- 2 Cup chicken stock (scalded)
- 12 Ounce grated or shredded white cheddar cheese
- 3 Dashes of hot sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 Cup beer (dark ale preferred)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped chives for garnish
Sauté the bacon in large, heavy-bottom, non-reactive soup pot over medium heat until wilted but not browned.
Add onion, celery, and carrots and cook until onions are translucent and bacon has crisped.
Sprinkle in flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and stock, a little at a time, blending well to ensure that there are no lumps. Bring the liquid to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and whisk in the cheese, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and beer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Sprinkle with chives and serve.