A crispy yet soft Artisan Square and a natural 6 oz patty. Add some caramelized onions and bright-tasting tomato jam for huge flavor intensity countered by the cool crunch of iceberg lettuce.
- 4 Boulart Artisan Squares
- 4 cheddar cheese slices
- Iceberg lettuce leaves
- 12 Italian tomatoes, blanched and peeled
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) celery seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) mustard seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 4 onions, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 lb (675 g) ground beef
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 1 egg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Simplified recipe: You can buy already made tomato jam or caramelized onions at gourmet shops
Tomato jam: in a large saucepan over low heat, simmer all ingredients for about 4 hours or until mixture resembles a jam.
Caramelized onions: in a skillet, heat oil over low heat, and brown onions until caramelized, about 30 min. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Burgers: in a bowl, mix all ingredients. Make four patties and grill until meat is cooked, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Assemble burgers: slice each bread horizontally and toast. Spread bottom half of bread with tomato jam. Top with patties, cheese, caramelized onions and lettuce. Spread top halves of bread with mayonnaise, and press on top of burgers.